Thursday, October 2, 2014

2014 Gardening Year 1

  It's October 1st and my garden is far from dead. I recently planted Spinach and Lettuce, both of which will grow through the Winter months. Life happens and in this life I have to eat, so I am getting back to my Pennsylvania Dutch Heritage and delving into the "Earthy Arts" with tasty plants. I have hobbied plants for many years, and now having the space here at The Forge I have had the ability to have numerous flora. Jade has been a favourite of mine and I easily have more than 12 Jade Bonsai from 1 starter plant 3 years ago.

   Realising that I'm have a relatively green thumb, I have decided to spend some of this 'hobby time' into something tasty and renewable. GARDENING!!! Like most things I do, I have just jumped right in and seemingly 'make it up' as I went along.

   My stepmom Pam has been gardening for many years so I always keep up what she is currently doing and spinach and lettuces are her staple winter plants, so I am doing likewise.



 I will be making a cover for my Winter Veggies. the bamboo is to create a template and frame. I am thinking of just making an 'A Frame' tent for this.
  

   Also I have created a bamboo shelter for my Mint plant and creating enclosures for the Lemon Balm Mint and Strawberry shrub. The Lemon Balm Mint was dug from my Father's yard. I trimmed back the Swiss Chard and will see how long it continues to grow.

 A Minty Gazebo in the making.

 Swiss Chard
Lemon Balm Mint

   One of the reasons for the Mint Gazebo is to give myself a limit for hao far I will allow it to spread. Mint roots heavily and can quickly spread and take over surrounding areas. I have already dug around the box and pulled the roots out of the ground. These roots can be snipped and replanted elsewhere. I would happily give some snips to anyone who wishes to grow their own mint.


Trying to get it to intertwine it into the bamboo to help keep it together.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment